Monday 18 April 2016

FREYA'S MEMORY BOX

When we found out I was pregnant with Freya I knew straight away that I wanted to make her a memory box. My mum doesn't have many items or photos from my childhood and I wanted to make sure that Freya had more to look back on than I did. My mum actually bought this box as a Christmas gift, so Freya was already 3 weeks old when we started filling it.
I don't know where she found it but it's a gorgeous pale pink and the only thing we have that commemorates the year Freya was born. That's something I wish we'd bought more of. I wish we had little socks with 'Born In 2015' stitched in, or a little outfit emblazoned with the same thing. But we live and we learn, don't we? I'm planning on stocking up on things like that whenever we decide to have baby number two. Anyway, back to Freya's box. 

There really isn't many things in there yet, and I definitely need to choose some of our more special photos to add to it too, but for now this is everything we have made an effort to keep for the future. 
My favourite thing that we've decided to save is this teeny tiny newborn hat. Lewis ordered this as a surprise and I fell in love with it as soon as I laid eyes on it. I spent so long daydreaming about the tiny perfect human who would be wearing this and wondering whether it would be too big and slip down over her eyes or not. 
As luck would have it, it fitted perfectly from the minute she was born and it is the hat she wore home when she was two days old. Sadly it only fitted until she was about 2 months old but I couldn't bare to part with it. 
Now this small, stuffed Elephant may not look like anything special, but it's the first stuffed toy we ever bought for our baby girl. At the time, we were planning on the theme of Freya's room being Elephants so this would have matched perfectly (Elephants never happened by the way. Room Tour blog post coming soon!). I remember when we bough this actually. I was about 19/20 weeks pregnant and we had gone to Blackpool for the weekend for Lewis' birthday. On his actual birthday we went to Blackpool Zoo  and that's where we found our little Elephant friend. We've never actually given this to Freya to hold, but she has so many stuffed toys from other people that we thought we'd keep this one as a memory of a lovely time and the closest thing to a 'Baby-Moon' we had. 
These two vests are another secret Daddy buy. I love these vests so much as, although they are very gimmicky and not very cutesy, they are the first things Lewis bought for Freya. I remember thinking it really symbolised him becoming excited to have a daughter and I couldn't wait to see him with this tiny human who is half him and half me. 
I know it seems like there's a lot of vests in here but they all have such a special meaning behind them. This is the vest Freya wore home from the hospital. One of Lewis' sisters bought it for us, it came in a set with a matching baby grow and hat. As soon as I saw it I knew it would end up being her 'coming home outfit'. There is a picture of her in her full coming home outfit a few photos above. 
And last but not least, the most special thing we've decided to keep - Freya's first ever outfit. This outfit holds so many precious memories for me. We bought it on the way home from our 12 week scan, after finding out our baby was as healthy as she could be and was wriggling around like there was no tomorrow. It was the first outfit we ever bought her and because we didn't know whether she was a girl or a boy at this point, Snoopy & Woodstock in yellow and grey seemed like the best choice.
It also reminds me of the night Freya was born. I had been pushing for a good two hours before she was finally delivered via forceps and we were so in love. I remember looking to my right and watching Lewis put her first nappy on and trying his very best to dress her without hurting her little arms and legs. I remember thinking how lucky I was to have such a perfect little family, and how lucky we were to have a healthy baby girl who, despite giving us some scares with her heartbeat during labour, was absolutely perfect. It also makes me realise how much more I love Lewis now I get to see him love Freya. There is nothing better than watching the man you love, loving the child you share and I know I'll never grow tired of watching the bond between Lewis and Freya grow.

I hope to add a lot more to this box over the years, and I hope I make it a tradition by creating one for each of my children over the years. It's such a lovely thing to do and au can't wait to go through Freya's with her when she is older, and retell the same stories I've just told you. 

Thanks for reading, 

Grace x

No comments:

Post a Comment